Sunday, August 06, 2006

Fair Cop... (Paris Day 1)

In light of the dodginess of my last blog I've decided to make this one a doozie... so strap yourselves in for the most long winded, illustrated Kieryn rant you have been exposed to so far... ready?? Here goes:

When I left off I was flying over Finland and admiring the view. I arrived in Paris airport at about 10am and mosied straight out from the baggage lounge and onto the street. There was a rather curious moment when I wondered what happend to customs (in that there wasn't any)but I gave up wondering when I tried to read the signs to the train. Bastard wrote them in French, how inconsiderate! Turns out there was a customs... how I missed it I'm not so sure but if the Jean Reno comes looking for me, just say I died eating Camembert.

Finding your way around Paris is actually very easy. They've dealt with enough silly English tourists to have learnt that pictograms work best. I followed the little train pictures and voila, found myself on a train into Paris. I got off at "Gare du Nord" which is a major transit centre (all the Eurostar trains come in there). I decided it would be a nice idea to walk from the train station to my hotel. I would just like to point out that at this point I had been awake for two days straight, it was 27 degrees, I had luggage, a cold and a bung knee. I wasn't at my most smart...

Two hours later, after getting lost and stopping to beg directions from a lovely French man, I made it to the hotel.

Hotel Damremont - Monmartre

By this stage the bag's wheels were a bit wonky and I looked a mess. The concierge (not the one who asked me out) gave me one look, gave me a hestitant (but polite) smile and started speaking in English. How do they KNOW???

The room was actually pretty good. Came with its own bathroom and a great view of the fire escape....


The rest of the day is a blur but I can vouch for showers after two days of being smelly. It was the best shower I have ever had, even if the water temperature never got above luke warm. I know I bought lunch at the supermarket across the road and then slept like a rock until the morning (much like how I normally sleep come to think of it).

1 Comments:

Blogger -D- said...

What was that about the concierge asking you out? o_O

You're givin' me the travel bug now...*sigh*

In bocca al lupo!

p.s. Italian I know but I don't know any provincial french encouragements

p.p.s. Literally "Into the mouth of the wolf!"

5:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home